Sunday, October 17, 2010

Course Module II

How is everything connected from the perspectives of indigenous peoples and Western scientists?  What are the advantages of knowing both ways?
When looking at the resources concerning the differences between AK Native and Western scientific thought, I was struck by how complementary the viewpoints are.  For example, traditional native knowledge is more cyclical while modern scientific knowledge is more linear.  Traditional knowledge is holistic while modern knowledge is reductionist. According to the ANSC, indigenous knowledge is weak in predicting scientific patterns in distant areas while scientific knowledge is weak in local knowledge.  You can see where one perspective is not more or less valuable and that bringing both perspectives together would fill in gaps for each.

One difference that stood out for me personally is how interrelated science is with all aspects of life from a traditional Alaskan Native perspective.  One challenge I always set for myself as a teacher is to make connections between what my students are learning in all content areas within and outside of school.  It is of note that this is a challenge for me rather than a natural way of life and learning.  This is one difference between Alaskan Native and Western perspectives that I understand on a cognitive level but probably not fully since I grew up with a cultural perspective in which different parts of my life were compartmentalized. 

New Learning and Background Knowledge

My new learning began on the introductory page with needing to look up the four fundamental forces of the universe (electromagnetism, strong and weak interaction, and gravity).  Part of my motivation for taking this course is the fact that I’ve taught primary aged students for years and am now teaching students in all grades PK-12.  Drawing science background knowledge from the recessives of my mind and updating it is going to prove very valuable for my students and me.  My teacher’s domain resource folder is going to continue to be a resource for my own personal learning beyond the scope of this class.

While I’ve glanced through Teacher’s Domain materials before, I’ve never done so as a learner.  Putting yourself in your students’ shoes is always insightful and it proved to be so in this case as well.  The “Frame, Focus and Follow-Up” process for using these types of resources is in line with best practices in lesson plan development and the Learning Cycle (http://www.coe.ilstu.edu/scienceed/lorsbach/257lrcy.htm).  The Related Resources on each TD video page will also be useful for students who still need to explore a concept or who have a special interest in pursuing it further.  As a time-strapped teacher, having these resources at the ready is appreciated.

Another benefit of this module for me is mastering some new technology skills and tools.  I’ve never created a blog before and many of my parents are asking for one to be created for our program.  Learning how to monitor and manage this blog will help me get that project under way.  I’ve also never used Google Earth.  One challenge when learning about something new is having the mental images to support what you’re learning about.  Google Earth will be a good tool for students to use to create those images and to be able to explore a place in more depth than looking at a static two-dimensional image can provide.  Looking at my hometown through this program sparked more geographic and geologic questions for me than looking at photographs alone has done in the past.

Landscape of My Birthplace


I was born in Madison, Indiana.  By Lower 48 standards, Madison is a small town with a population of around 12,000.  When it was first settled in the 1800s is was predicted to be the future capitol of the state.  This fact can also be seen in the architecture of the well-preserved historic district along the riverfront.   

It is nestled between hills on the banks of the Ohio River.  Madison sits atop a bed of limestone that can be seen in the architecture of many of it's historic buildings.  I believe that is was the strength of this bedrock which prevented the landscape from being leveled completely during glacial advances.  There are rolling hills and deep valleys all along the Ohio River in this area of the state.  Another physical feature I remember clearly from childhood is the many waterfalls running down limestone cliffs.    


                           A view of the town from Kentucky, just across the Ohio.
                           All images are copied from Google Earth.
 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment